02 Dec National Family Caregivers Month 2018
National Family Caregivers Month 2018
“Supercharge Your Caregiving”
This past November, we observed National Family Caregivers Month, which was founded by the Caregiver Action Network to recognize and honor family caregivers across the country.
Caregiving can be a 24/7 job, and with all the responsibilities and tasks they have to manage, you would think they were super heroes! That’s why this year’s theme was “Supercharge Your Caregiving”, which aims to help raise awareness of the different types of modern tools that caregivers can use to help lighten the load.
All November long, we did research and shared tips on different ways we can supercharge our caregiving. Here is a recap of all our findings – enjoy!
Our first focus was mobile apps. In this day and age, there’s pretty much an app for everything, and the best part is many are free. So we rounded up some of the top rated free mobile apps from an assortment of our favorite industry sources to see what the consensus looked like. Some of these apps help streamline tasks, improve organization, provide reminders, link caregivers to support groups, give tips, and serve as a resource for health-related information.
Next, we covered two huge factors in caregiving: safety and security. When looking after a loved one who is elderly, recovering or faced with a disease like Alzheimer’s, it’s especially important to find ways to ensure they’re okay when you’re not by their side. Try as we might, but it’s simply impossible to be there 100% of the time, so that’s why certain types of new technology can help give great peace of mind.
Last but not least, we also reviewed different types of tools that help with medication reminders and management. After looking at a variety of sources, we felt Senior Safety Reviews’ article on “The Best Medication Reminders of 2018” captured the most thorough listing, in terms of their research and testing. Their ranking is as follows:
- Best Medication Reminder App: MediSafe App
- FREE mobile app and now a Google App Editor’s Choice winner
- Easy to enter the medications name, with autocomplete
- Has a picture of each pill
- Easy to enter the times
- Educates on each drug your taking
- Lets family and caregivers track compliance
- Helpful rescheduling in event of missed doses
- Lock-screen dismal reminder
- Best Remote Monitored Pillbox Reminder: MedMinder Jon
- $59.99 a month, with no contract, no charge for the equipment, free shipping, and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Call center that contacts patient if a medication reminder goes unanswered
- Doesn’t require a landline or internet connection
- Very easy to load and dispense medications, reducing the risk of drops
- Allows you to customize the reminder message and has a blinking light to help grab attention
Please note that the opinions given in this blog are entirely our own and were not paid for or sponsored. These tips should not serve as medical advice. Always check with a medical provider or certified physician before adjusting anything in your care or health routine.
Information Sources & Links: